Office Phone 419-720-4533
Mathematics is not only a requirement for graduation, but also necessary in order to function in society. My goal is to equip each student with the tools necessary to achieve success in life and to pursue post-graduate studies, if desired.
Polly Fox graduates must complete 3 credit hours of mathematics (4 credit hours for all in-coming freshmen starting in 2009). They must also pass the mathematics section of the Ohio Graduation Test.
Required mathematics courses include:
- Algebra I (1 credit hour) - This course covers the topics of rational numbers, algebraic expressions and equations, ratios and proportions, probability and measures of central tendency, exponents and radicals, polynomials, factoring, linear equations, linear inequalities, graphing lines, systems of equations and matrices, quadratic equations, and algebraic fractions.
– or –
Algebra A (1 credit hour) and Algebra B (1 credit hour) - These courses cover the same topics as Algebra I; however, they are taught at a slower pace.
- Geometry (1 credit hour) - This course covers the topics of angels, triangles, perpendicular and parallel lines, right triangles, polygons, quadrilaterals, transformations, constructions, area, circles, geometric solids, and coordinate geometry.
- Algebra II (1 credit hour) - This course covers the topics of properties of numbers and algebraic expressions, exponents, radicals, complex numbers, simple equations and inequalities, absolute value and graphing linear equations, ratio, proportion, variation, probability, counting principles, logic, algebraic word problems, polynomials, functions, systems of linear equations, matrices, algebraic fractions, quadratic equations, conics, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.
Elective mathematics courses include:
- Pre-Algebra (1 credit hour) - This course covers the topics of sets and numbers, prime numbers, fractions, decimals, ratios and proportions, percents, estimation, signed numbers, exponents and radicals, graphing, algebraic thinking, algebraic expressions, geometric figures, and measurement.
- Consumer Math (1 credit hour) - This course covers the topics of paychecks, salary versus commission, benefits and taxes, pricing and sales tax, banking accounts, interest, finance charges/getting a loan, buying a car/alternate forms of transportation, recreational costs, buying a home, and the cost of utilities.
- OGT Mathematics (1/2 credit hour) - This course covers select topics in number, number sense and operations; measurement; geometry and spatial sense; patterns, functions and algebra; and data analysis and probability.
Junior High Program
Both 7th and 8th grade students will complete a course of study in Pre-Algebra. This will best prepare students for the rigors of high school mathematics.